Author Topic: EIT EPG on DVB-T?  (Read 3938 times)

grolschie

EIT EPG on DVB-T?
« on: 15, January 2010, 02:08:30 PM »
Do some of the Freeview channels broadcast more than just "Now" and "Next" in the DVB-T EIT EPG? I noticed 4 programs listed today in the EPG for both TV3 and Prime, but only 2 for One and TV2. If it's arbitrary how many programs a channel can list, then why not list more? Just wondering.

Freeviewshop Administrator

Re: EIT EPG on DVB-T?
« Reply #1 on: 15, January 2010, 03:16:39 PM »
Do some of the Freeview channels broadcast more than just "Now" and "Next" in the DVB-T EIT EPG? I noticed 4 programs listed today in the EPG for both TV3 and Prime, but only 2 for One and TV2. If it's arbitrary how many programs a channel can list, then why not list more? Just wondering.
Yes they tend to broadcast full information for at least now and next, often more e.g 4 to 7 would be typical. Freeview could easily broacast the lot but refuse to so.

Jackson

« Reply #2 on: 15, January 2010, 04:04:20 PM »
Yes I suspect this is the major holdup for releasing PlayTV here in NZ as well.  As Lars mentions the EIT system is already in place on both freeview broadcast platforms but they simply refuse to broadcast more than a few items ahead.

grolschie

« Reply #3 on: 15, January 2010, 05:25:43 PM »
I would've thought that the individual channels would opt to broadcast more. But I have no idea how much bandwidth the EIT data uses.

Freeviewshop Administrator

« Reply #4 on: 17, January 2010, 12:06:57 PM »
I would've thought that the individual channels would opt to broadcast more. But I have no idea how much bandwidth the EIT data uses.

On Freeview HD the bandwidth usage for EIT EPG remains constant 0.66% of the total available bandwidth.

In order to have a full EIT EPG with full descriptions Feeview would have to increase this to one and a bit percent like on the satellite service which uses a 1.3% of the total available bandwidth.

They could just send the name only and forget about the description of all the programs and increase the bandwidth usage to perhaps 0.8% and then PlayTV and lots of other things i.e. PC cards and other PVRs would all work great, or they could go the whole way and use a little over 1%